Tyler’s Story: Critical care at U-M Mott Children’s Hospital

(upbeat music) – Witnesses said that Tyler
had gotten snow in his face, and was trying to wipe his eyes and didn’t see the tree at all, and just hit the tree full-force. – The start of our nightmare on that day began at the top of the hill. We decided to head into the lodge, my youngest son had said,
hey, Tyler went the other way. – I was very excited that
it was finally winter break, and we didn’t wear skiing helmets, we didn’t think they were
that important back then. – We thought he was
actually just trying to experiment with another hill, that he had been down previously. But then when he didn’t
show up immediately, I started to look for him. Within 100 feet of the lodge, I saw an ambulance that was already there, and his feet were sticking
out of the ambulance, and that’s when I knew it
was a terrible accident. – And then I said is he okay? And his response was, he’s
breathing and he has a pulse. And so I knew it was really bad, he said we had to come right away. – At that point, I jumped in the ambulance and we immediately
departed for the hospital. One of the surgeons said that his skull had be impacted so
hard that it hit his brain and that we would need to
perform an immediate surgery. – He had bone fractures around his eye, he lacerated his tongue, he
had a dissected carotid artery, he had broken ribs, broken vertebrae. They had told us that they
would be able to do the surgery, but they were not equipped
to care of a P patient. And we had asked for him to come to Mott. – Just the overall
reputation and credibility of the services there. From my standpoint, I’d rather be at Mott rather than anywhere else. – When we first got to Mott, there were lots of different
departments that worked with us and worked with Tyler. We not only had the neurosurgeon team, but we had a critical care team. They started sending physical
therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, psychological
therapy all up to ICU, the first week he was there. – They were essentially monitoring the swelling on the brain. Number one objective,
according to the physicians were to get that swelling down,
and at one point they said, it looks like we’re gonna need
to perform a second surgery to actually remove a large
portion of his skull, in order to allow the brain to breathe. – And they ended up taking
him all the way down and putting him in a coma. And they realized at that time, that he had a clot at
the back of his head. At that was what was
causing the brain pressure to continue to go up. And once they got rid of
that, the pressure came down and we were able to avoid the surgery. – Over the next few days, I realized that I was in the hospital. I didn’t know how to walk, I definitely didn’t know how to talk, that was a major thing,
or spell or anything. – They were able to get
all of that to come back and we have the child that we have today. – Yeah it felt really good. Being back with my
friends, back in school, I look to go outside, play
lots of sports, run around. My brother was a huge influence for me, he helped me get back to
normal and everything. – Thank you, thank you
for keeping him with us, and giving him back to us. I do not believe that
we would have the Tyler that we have today, had it not been for all
those great hands at Mott taking care of him. (downbeat music)

3 thoughts on “Tyler’s Story: Critical care at U-M Mott Children’s Hospital

  1. Well, goldmines, you are lucky to know this brave young man! Truly remarkable how kids can have such terrible things happen to them, but they come out with a smile and an incredibly positive attitude, like your friend Tyler! Seems like he has a strong spirit! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *