I Was Forced To Go To A Mental Hospital | #MentalMonday

*exhales* so this is a fun way to start out 2017. If you follow my twitter, you know that I was in the hospital for a while. And many of you know that it may or may not have been a mental hospital. Spoiler: it was, that’s why I’m making this video. So this video is just going to tell you guys what it’s like to be in a mental hospital because I think it’s glorified and I didn’t know what to expect. Hopefully you don’t ever have to go to one, but knowledge is power? So basically I was a 5150, so that means I was on an involuntary 72 hour hold when I was in the facility. The facility that I was staying in, I’m not going to mention (it’s name), but eh. I mean, I don’t expect to have anymore experiences within mental hospitals I don’t have anything to compare this one to, but this is how this particular one was ran. So, I was taken from my hometown to this other facility because my hometown does not have a psych ward within their hospital So I was taken to a hospital 40 minutes away. I had to be wheeled in on a gurney, which is so extra. So extra. Didn’t need to do that. Could’ve walked. But, that’s beside the point. I get it, policies or whatever. Then, I was greeted by the not-nurses nurses, the mental health workers. They took my clothes, which at the time was just a hospital robe because the previous hospital already took my clothes. They took my clothes, examined them making sure there was nothing sharp or anything on them. They said, “You can’t wear this because it’s indecent,” and it was a dress and tights. And they wouldn’t let me wear my shoes because they had strings on them. So, I was stuck in a hospital robe until someone could bring me clothes to wear. Then what they did was have me unrobe, completely nude and just look over my body real fast making sure I didn’t have any cuts, scars, or like, damage to my body. So, that was weird and super uncomfortable for me. Once that was over they asked if I would to take a shower because they had shampoo and body wash. they had toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, lotion (if that’s what we want to call it) And they gave me a towel and a fresh robe and these , like, cotton underwear. Which I was like, “No, it’s fine I changed before I went to the hospital yesterday. I don’t want those.” I took a shower. which the shower didn’t ever get hot, 2, flooded. So, that’s great. And, I learned afterwards… ‘cuz I immediately went and laid down in my room and just kind of napped because I didn’t know what else to do because nobody came to talk to me. Not a nurse, not the psychiatrist, not a doctor, nobody. Nobody for 6 hours, nobody talked to me. It was just… and then at that point it was like, Hey! It’s uhhh… (I don’t even know what it was called) like, group time but like, it explained what goes on the hospital and you had to listen to it every day. But, Nobody talked to me so I was like, “Hey! Where’s the doctor? Kind of would like to speak to him ‘cuz I would like to leave when my 72 hours are up.” And they said to me, “You missed him when you were in the shower. He was looking for you, but you were in the shower so he left.” Homeboy couldn’t wait like 5-10 minutes for a patient who has just taken 40 minutes in ambulance ride and spent all night in an ER to get out of a shower to talk to them So, I had to wait until the next day. Then the next day came. I didn’t get up for breakfast because you have to go to bed at 9pm and you have to get up at like, 7-something for breakfast. I’m not about that ever. I’m not a breakfast person. I’m not a morning person. I don’t like the idea of eating really early in the morning. I just don’t. It upsets my stomach. So, I missed breakfast. Didn’t go to the first “group activity time” because it was at like, 8-something. And the doctor came in eventually at like, 9 am. He said, ya know, “What happened?”, which I am not going to say in a video. I told him. I told him what medication I was on. And that was about it. The same information I have been telling everybody previous to him and he’s like, “okay!’ and then left. Two minutes tops. what? How are you… How are you a practicing psychiatrist when you don’t even talk to your patients? But, okay. Whatever. I digress. Whatever. And then there’s lunch. And lunch, let me tell ya, not great. It was some fish or that’s what they told us. Nothing has salt. Nothing has caffeine in it. Is there sugar in anything? Probably not. So that day I went through a Alivia-eats-poorly detox where I got a caffeine headache, I… my sugar dropped like, it just, everything at once And… there’s like 4 group times where you get to color and you get to watch tv and talk about your feelings but nobody talks about their feelings really we just kinda color in silence and watch tv. And there’s snacks… snacks consisted of granola bars that I couldn’t eat because I’m allergic to peanuts and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that I couldn’t eat because I’m allergic to peanuts. Which is a thing I told them. I said explicitly, “I am so allergic that I can not be in the same room as someone eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I go into anaphylactic shock.” and they, “okay” and put it on my little dietary thing. cool. Still didn’t get anything. I had graham crackers most of the time because couldn’t really eat anything. Also, said “Hey lactose intolerant. Super lactose intolerant. I will vomit all over you if I have diary.” And they just gave us milk and I was like… Uh, food was super bland. We had chicken at one point and it was, um, beige. You know those memes where it’s like white people can’t put spices on anything? That’s literally hospital food Disgusting and also very, very dry. And all I had was water. and non-caffeinated tea and decaf coffee. Basically, don’t want to go back there. Beds were nice. Like, memory foam. But UH, the blanket are thin. So are the pillows. And you can’t do anything. Like, the phone is in a hallway on a payphone. You can’t have pencils, or crayons, or pens in your room for obvious reasons and… only non-, uh, paperback books. Which makes sense, but, like, yeah that’s about it. Then you’re limited to what you can watch on tv because you have to share with like 10 other people, so… It was really boring, but it was really good ‘cuz I got to think about things a lot and uh, figure out my life and what lead me there and now I’m on the road to fixing it. So, I mean, I don’t recommend you just hitting rock bottom and having to go to a mental hospital to figure out your life, but if you can just like, take like, an hour each day maybe and break down, like, your goals for that day and your goals for tomorrow, and how you’re going to accomplish those goals. And… ‘Cuz that’s a thing they made us do; was write down our daily goal and what steps we were going to take to do them and how we were feeling that day. And I think that was real good for a lot of people. So, that’s something I suggest. Just writing how you feel in the morning, writing a goal for that day, steps you’re going to take to reach that goal, and then at night say again how you feel, did you reach your goal, why or why not, if not, ya know, what steps can you take to do it tomorrow maybe. That’s my experience. And I don’t want to go back. I don’t ever have plans to go back and… it uh, I think prison would have been better. Click for my last video! Link in description as well!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *